Glancy Nicholls Architects have recently completed the full refurbishment and conversion of Derwent House, a historic Grade II listed building in Birmingham. Originally built as a metal pressing factory for Taylor and Challen in 1902, it has been in constant use as a metal works factory until changes in manufacturing processes made it unviable.
With a dramatic change of use, we looked at innovative ways to convert site constraints into opportunities.
The main street elevation is dominated by triple-height glazing. In response, we retained and refurbished these windows, designing a layout with duplexes apartments which utilise double-height winter gardens to incorporate the impressive original windows.