Skip to main content

Garth House

Exterior of building, with blue skies and shadows of trees of the building

Sensitive grade 2* Arts & Crafts restoration

As part of the Edgbaston Park Hotel & Conference Centre development, Glancy Nicholls Architects were appointed to carry out the refurbishment of Garth House as part of the wider scheme.

The Grade II* Listed Arts and Crafts building plays a key role in the Hotel & Conference Centre development. Constructed in 1901, Garth House was one of only five residential dwellings designed by William Bidlake and is the largest of the collection. It has been restored to enhance its identity whilst considering its surroundings within the Edgbaston Conservation Area.

The interiors comprise an impressive entrance hall and three ground-floor seminar and conference rooms, supported by staff and back-of-house areas. The first and second floors contain seven luxury hotel rooms, each accentuating the grandeur and simplicity of Garth House’s impressive proportions, while focusing on small details within the interior finishes, detailing and furniture to highlight the Arts and Crafts period.

Spotlight

Featured within Hermann Muthesis’s book “Das Englische Haus” (“The English House”)

Garth House was designed by William Bidlake and constructed in 1900, when it would have been a grand residential dwelling on a very large plot in a rural location outside of Birmingham City centre.

One of only five houses that William Bidlake designed, Garth House was one of the most significant houses due to its size and simplicity. Garth House is the largest property he completed and following this he went on to return to the more ecclesiastic work he was renowned for.

It is an exceptional example of an Arts & Crafts house, which celebrates clear elements of simplicity to accentuate the beautifully ornamental details; expressing the equilibrium of control against detail which Bidlake was admired for.

This is represented in the Grade II* listing rating for the building and its setting.